TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - 5-Speed Swap Done, idle issues?!?!
People Seeking Info

Subject 5-Speed Swap Done, idle issues?!?!

Posted by Drunkpunk082 on June 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  This message has been viewed 639 times.

Message Okay guys. Just had a 5 speed swap done on my 1993 z32 TT. We left the AT ECU with a JWT chip installed. I drove the car for a couple weeks no problem. I noticed the idle was around 1100, a little high. Few days ago I adjusted the idle screw to drop it down around 800. Ill be honest and say that I did NOT unplug the yellow connector when I made this adjustment. However I will be readjusting it this weekend correctly.

The issue is that when I start the car it revs up and then drops almost to a stall (It DID stall a couple times). Then if I lightly press the accelerator it will stumble almost to a stall. The car has been sluggish ever since the rebuild and I always just figured it needed a tune but now I am starting to wonder if it has had a faulty IACV all this time.

I talked with my mechanic who is very knowledgeable about these cars and he mentioned that the automatic ECU runs a little richer on a fresh start to compensate for the automatic. He said that since its a 5 speed now its still adding extra fuel and the car doesn't need it so its creating a stall condition.

Here's the kicker... After 5-10 min it clears up entirely. If I leave the car running the stall is gone after 5 min. The car is still a little sluggish at low RPMs but then again it's always been that way since the rebuild years ago. Lastly, if I shut the car off after the stall clears up, and restart the engine, the stall comes back immediatly. Leave the car running for a few min, stall is gone.

So what is going on and what do I need to do to fix it?! The fact it clears up after a few min of running leads me to beleive the ECU is the issue. Almost like it is relearning on the fly and then forgetting that as soon as I shut the car off.

-Alex

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.